Critical Care Unit
St Andrews Ipswich Private Hospital Critical Care Unit is an 18 bed unit made up of a combination of the Intensive Care , Coronary Care and High Dependency specialities. The Critical Care Unit is equipped with advanced cardiac monitoring and state of the art respiratory support equipment and has the facility to manage any acute care patients in a comfortable private environment.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
The ICU is equipped for ventilation and monitoring of patients with a variety of complex medical and surgical problems. The ICU receives patients from the operating theatres, hospital wards or direct admission from Emergency. This area is staffed by 24/7 by Intensive care consultants, and critical care trained nurses who provide dedicated acute care when it is most needed. Admission to ICU can be very stressful for both patient and family. Our nurses and Doctors appreciate you may have many concerns and wish to make your experience as easy as possible.
What to expect
- Be prepared to see lots of lines, tubes, wires and monitoring equipment.
- Monitors have alarms that signal when something needs to be checked BUT are not always a cause of for concern, a slight movement may trigger an alarm
- The patient will be unable to speak if on a ventilator. Feel free to touch and talk to your loved one.
- To prevent spread of infection, wash your hands when entering and leaving the room. Antimicrobial hand gel is available inside every patient room,
- You may be asked to wait in waiting areas during procedures and medical rounds.
Visitors Policy/Visiting Hour
- Unless specifically requested only immediate family should visit a patient in ICU.
- A limit of two visitors is permitted to enter at any one time
- Hours- 8am – 3pm and 3pm – 8pm. There is a rest period between 1pm – 3pm.
What to Bring?
- It is important that only essential belongings are brought to the unit- toiletries and medications.
- Cut flowers/potted plants are not permitted due to infection control requirements.
- Please do not bring any valuables
Coronary Care Unit
St Andrew’s Coronary Care unit affords patients the choice of receiving local cardiac care: without the need to travel to Brisbane for treatment and management of heart attack, angina and arrhythmias. 24 hour monitoring ensures that cardiac arrhythmias are acted upon instantly. The unit also provides a referral service for patients requiring Cardiac Rehabilitation to support physical and psychological recovery following an acute cardiac event.
High Dependency Unit (HDU)
The HDU provides ward accommodation for patients with medical conditions that require full telemetry monitoring. Telemetry monitoring, enables the patient to move around the ward freely but is visible to cardiac nurses in the unit. The Level 4 Medical Ward also has this capacity.